18.104.22.168. Dissection of the brain from the head capsule
1. Flash freeze the bees in liquid nitrogen.
2. Disconnect the head from the body.
3. Place the head on dry ice to ensure it stays frozen.
4. Cut away the face plate using a micro-scalpel or –scissors.
5. Make the incision from just above the epistomal sulcus, along the inner margin of the eyes and over the ocelli.
6. Gently lift the face away, severing any underlying connections to reveal the brain below.
7. Cut the connections between the brain and optic lobes.
8. Lift the brain away from the head capsule.
If the brain is to be further subdivided prior to analysis, ensure that it stays chilled during the dissection.