2.1.1. How to catch leaving bees
- Use a pyramid (height: 24.5 cm, apex: 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, base: 18 cm x 18 cm).
- The pyramid should be made of UV-translucent Plexiglas® to enable the bees to perceive celestial cues and to lure them into the pyramid (Matsumoto et al., 2012).
- Hold the base of the pyramid in front of the hive (at 20 cm distance) with the base open and the apex closed.
- Avoid blocking the hive entrance and arousing guard bees by standing laterally to the hive.
- After catching the required number of bees, quickly close the base and take the pyramid to the laboratory.
- There, darken the pyramid except for its apex.
- Forager bees are phototactically positive (Erber et al., 2006) and will move towards he uncovered apex.
- Catch them individually while they try to leave the pyramid at the apex (Matsumoto et al., 2012).