188.8.131.52. Dissection and sample preparation
- Chill freshly collected bees on ice prior to dissection.
- Dissect the exocrine glands under a stereo microscope (X20) using the medium specified below (see section 184.108.40.206.).
- Wash the glands twice in fresh medium.
- Transfer 1 or 2 glands to 80 - 100 µl medium supplemented with a labelled precursor (1µCi [1-14C] sodium acetate. An aliquot of Ethanolic solution of sodiumacetate , 1µCi/gland, is dispensed to a vial, ethanol is evaporated to dryness under N2 prior to addition of the incubation medium (56 mCi/mmol, Perkin Elmer).
- For best results, worker glands should be incubated in pairs whilst the queen gland can be individually incubated (see section 220.127.116.11. for incubation medium preparation).
- Incubate glands at 39 °C, for 4-20 hours.