6.4.2. Creating new layers from selected data
If a selection of data has to be exported, to send to someone who needs only a part of a data layer, for instance, a new data layer can be created with the selected features. We will create a new layer with the data selected in section 18.104.22.168.
- Perform step 22.214.171.124.
- Close the Select by Location dialog box.
- Right-click on the commune_boundary_FR layer in the TOC.
- Go to Data.
- Select Export Data.
- Select Export: Selected features.
- Use the same coordinate system as the source data.
- Save as a new shapefile in the ArcGIS BEEBOOK folder. Call it colony_communes.shp.
- Click Save.
- Click OK.
- Click Yes to add the new layer to the map.
- Clear the selected features, go to Selection.
- Click Clear selected features.
- Turn off the commune_boundary_FR and aster30_frib_ch.tif (DEM) layers in the TOC.
- Right-click on the colony_communes layer.
- Click Zoom to layer (Fig. 23) to focus the map on that layer.
Fig. 23. The results of exporting the selected data to a new shapefile. The new shapefile, colony_communes, depicts only the communes that have colonies inside them. Reproduced with permission of Swisstopo (BA13016).