126.96.36.199.2. Manual collection of fresh pollen
Fresh pollen can also be collected from e.g. maize by literally shaking the tassels.
- Shake maize tassels over large plastic trays at peak anthesis (when pollen shedding is at the highest, normally between 09.00h and 10.00h on field of sweet corn).
- Collect early morning after the dew dries, but before pollen shedding is complete.
- Transfer fallen pollen into containers.
- Clean collected pollen by using sieves (pore sizes 0.119 and 0.0043 cm) to remove anthers, insects, and other debris (Fig. 39).
- Store collected pollen at -20°C until ready for