1.2.6. Drone endophallus and semen
1. Turn drone upside down and grip laterally between thumb and index finger.
2. With the other hand, gently but persistently squeeze the abdomen of the drone dorso-ventrally, exerting pressure backwards, until the endophallus is extruded from the drone.
3. Apply more severe pressure, again backwards, to avert the endophallus and, for mature drones, cause ejaculation of semen.
4. Cut off the entire endophallus with scissors, or collect the exposed semen (brown-red colour) and/or seminal fluid (translucent white) with a sterile micropipette.
5. Collect the material individually in microcentrifuge tubes or on collection cards.