2.2.4. Mortar and pestle
Traditional manual method for pulverizing samples.
- Pros: Medium volumes; cheap; low maintenance.
Cross-contamination risk; time consuming; lack of uniformity.
- Place 1-30 bees in a pre-frozen mortar of appropriate size.
- Add liquid nitrogen to cool samples to well below freezing.
- Grind the bees to a powder using an appropriate sized, pre-frozen pestle.
- Transfer the powder to a plastic tube or bottle.
- Add 500 μl extraction buffer per bee.
- Shake tube until the powder has suspended fully in the buffer.