2.5.1. Spore viability and germination test
- Transfer 10 µl of a spore solution at 5 x 105 spore per ml to an agar plate
- Spread the spore solution over the entire ager plate with a sterile Digralski spatula
- Incubate at 25°C for 24 hour
- Place three cover slips on the plate
- Place the agar plate under the microscope and count
the proportion of germinated spores out of 100 spores under each of the three
It is recommended to use only new fresh spore solution for each experiment because the shelf life of Aspergillus spores in a water solution is about 3 days (Vojvodic, unpublished).