184.108.40.206. Determining proportion of perforated capped brood cells containing SHB eggs (oviposition rate)
- Use the method outlined in section 220.127.116.11. to determine the oviposition rate of SHB females in capped brood.
- A female SHB will not oviposit in all cells in which
she perforates the capping and/or side wall. Consequently calculate the
“oviposition rate” as:
# marked capped brood cells containing SHB eggs
total number of marked capped brood cells containing perforated cappings and/or side walls
- Open the cells marked according to section 18.104.22.168. with forceps.
- Determine the number and presence of SHB eggs.
- Remove the developing pupa / prepupa to facilitate egg
Potential additional uses:
The procedures outlined in sections 22.214.171.124. – 126.96.36.199. can be used to:
- investigate beetle density effects on oviposition (simply vary the number of SHBs in the cages during the oviposition period),
- screen and possibly select for the level of hygienic expression of honey bees (within and between subspecies) toward SHB eggs and young larvae,
- determine time, environmental, bee subspecies, etc. impacts on SHB oviposition behaviour,
- determine colony strength impacts on hygienic behaviour (Ellis and Delaplane, 2008),
- and investigate other similar areas.