3.3.4. How to mount specimens
- Place a drop of Hoyer’s medium (section 3.3.3.) in the centre of a clean microscope slide.
- Using the tip of a fine needle, minute pin or a wire loop, pick up a mite.
- Touch the tip of the tool to which the mite adhered to the droplet of Hoyer’s medium.
- Gently press the mite to the bottom of the droplet and position the mite on a vertical axis.
- Using a pair of forceps, pick up a cover slip and gently place it on top of the droplet.
- Mark the mite’s location by drawing a ring around the specimen using a permanent marker, to facilitate locating the specimen later.
- Dry slides at 45ºC for 48 h to one week.
- Slides can be sealed with a ring of glyptal (Glyptal, Inc.; Chelsea, MA, USA)
- Label slides with date of collection, place of collection, species name, host species and name of collector.