6.8. Creating wax moth free combs
Per Hood et al. (2003):
- Remove drawn comb for honey bee
The comb should be dark (i.e. comb that has had brood reared in it at some point).
- Extract any honey present.
- Expose comb to foraging bees to remove any remaining honey residues.
- Place all comb in a standard freezer (≤0°C) for at least 24 h to kill all wax moth life stages present (for more freezing temperatures and times, see section 5.8.1.).
- Examine all frames, and select frames with no signs of wax moth activity for experimental trials.