The mission of COLOSS is to improve the well-being of bees (in particular the western honey bee Apis mellifera) at a global level.
Our goals include:
- Advocating for bees, and their well-being, especially to government legislators and administrators
- Coordinating international research, including the development of standard research methods
- Disseminating knowledge and training related to improving the well-being of bees
- Promoting youth development and gender balance among those studying, or those actively involved in promoting, the well-being of bees
We work towards our mission and goals by structuring our association into themes of interest:
- Pests & Pathogens (e.g. Varroa destructor & viruses)
- Environment (e.g. Pesticides & nutrition)
- Breeding & Conservation (e.g. diversity & disease resistance)
Furthermore, COLOSS endorses core projects and tasks forces – specific topics identified by our association to receive priority attention.
Core projects, encompassing the entire association:
Task Forces, specific to a COLOSS Theme:
- Varroa destructor Control (Pests & Pathogens)
- CSI Pollen (Environment)
- Apitox (Environment)
- Sustainable Bee Breeding (Breeding & Conservation)
Networking & Dissemination Approaches
COLOSS does not directly fund research on the well-being of bees, but rather provides opportunities for networking and dissemination.
- Convocation of the General Assembly of COLOSS to discuss the association’s activities and future directions, and a platform for honey bee health research updates
- Small, intimate gatherings of members to discuss specific research projects and ideas relevant to COLOSS
Short-term Scientific Missions
- Visits to a collaborator’s laboratory to discuss research ideas or to learn novel research techniques. Preference given to students and early-stage researchers
- A single, solidary voice from COLOSS on issues influencing the well-being of bees.
- Distribution of bee health news, events, jobs, and scientific articles that are relevant to to stakeholders via the web, e-mail, and Facebook®