The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
- Working time 100 % (39 h / week), fixed-term appointment 2 years, possibility of extension for another year.
- Landscape characterisation of selected European field sites using GIS and remote sensing data
- Assessment of local wild bee community structure and resource availability
- Work with sentinel bee hives/colonies/nests of managed and wild social and solitary bees in selected field sites
- Statistical analyses of direct, indirect and interacting effects of multiple stressors (agrochemicals, pathogens, nutritional status) on the health and resilience of managed and wild bees
- Synthesise general patterns and mechanisms of multiple stressors on bee health and resilience at the European scale
- High-quality scientific outputs
- PhD in biology, ecology, geoecology, or a related discipline
- Experience in biology/ecology of bees
- Experience in handling bee hives/colonies/nests is advantageous
- Theoretical background in population and landscape ecology
- Additional experience in macroecology and synthesis work is advantageous
- Working knowledge in GIS analyses
- Strong background in modern statistical analyses and ecological modelling
- Good command of the statistical environment R
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive publicsector social security benefits
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy; we therefore particularly welcome applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons are given priority where applicants are equally qualified.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job: Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ Dr. Oliver Schweiger Theodor-Lieser-Straße 4 06120 Halle (Saale) email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 30.09.2018
Place of work: Halle (Saale)
Please use our online application system for your application.
More information about jobs at the UFZ: www.ufz.de/career
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ